Thursday, November 3, 2011

Following a Mission Statement

 Recently, I was reading a book by Mindy Starns Clark.  In this book, the main character works for a very rich and generous man who gives grants to non-profit organizations.  The job of this main character is to research about the organization and determine whether or not they are deserving of this grant; she checks to see if they're using their money wisely, etc.  It is noted in the book that she always starts off by reading the organization's mission statement to see what they claim to do and be and then goes on to see if they actually follow this statement.

 About a day after I read this book, my mom and I had a long discussion on following mission statements while we were on a walk.  In my post Great Expectations, I included my life's mission statement.  What my goal is for my life.  Anyway, on this walk, we talked about how it is so easy to stray from the mission statement that we have set either for our own lives, maybe a business, etc.  The phrase "easier said than done" applies very literally to this topic.  You can write an awesome mission statement in five minutes, and even mean it, but it takes patience, diligence, and God's help to actually follow the statement.

 As you may know, I lead a discipleship group called LIVE for Christ in my home.  When you start a business or a Bible study, or, in my case, a discipleship group, you should have a mission or vision statement.
  The mission of LIVE for Christ is to direct young ladies ages 8 to 17 to live their life honoring their heavenly Father.  Lessons focus on respecting the Lord, others, and themselves as they walk with the Lord.  Learning to fear Him, not man, and make the Scriptures a vital part of their lives is the main concept of LIVE.  Through lessons, games, and at-home challenges, girls are encouraged to live their lives fully for God as His daughters and be example to others by shining their light.
 For me, it is sometimes challenging to make sure everything I plan in a LIVE meeting, ties back to my mission statement.  This also allows the girls' parents to know what their daughters are attending.  There are no surprises as far as activities they won't approve of.

 This planning takes careful consideration.  I can't imagine how churches, youth groups, and large organizations can make sure their activities follow their mission statement.  I'm sure we can all come up with at least three church related activities that haven't matched their mission statement.  These inconsistencies can cause people to leave a church, can cause hurt relationships, and even cause a slow straying from God.

 So what's your mission statement?  What's it for: your life, business, group or Bible study?  And, most importantly, are you following it?  Am I following mine?  Are we asking God for His guidance and help?

 Have a blessed week!

 Sierra

4 comments:

  1. Even though everyone does their best to follow their mission statements, every one of us is human, and we all will fail at one time or another. Trying to hold ourselves to a standard of perfection (even if it is with the proper motives) will only cause discouragement. This is not an excuse to stray from what the mission statement says, or even claim to do things and fail to meet what has been said--not at all. The purpose of a mission statement is to set a standard that takes effort to achieve. Small, minimal inconsistencies should be forgivable. It is not an excuse, but a way to encourage brothers and sisters in Christ to learn from mistakes and strive for the ultimate prize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great vision statement for LIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this conversation! I enjoy our morning walks and our conversations on how to be a light for the Lord. I am so thankful for Christ's grace as I daily make mistakes with my words and actions. Your post reminds me of writing a lesson plan for a formal observation in school. The objectives of the lesson plan were to be met through the implementation of the activities. Then evaluation had to occur to see if the objectives were met. The observer, usually the principal, critiqued me then we met and he dispersed his opinions. The goal? To help me improve as a teacher. The same goes for having a mission statement centered on Christ-like living. The goal? To be more like Christ. Just writing the statement is a first step; then being consciously aware that you have a statement and you use that to evaluate your decisions shows maturity. You have caused me to think, to re-evaluate. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Mine is a vision statement, which is shorter and less specific.)

    My vision statement: To love and encourage others
    with my courageous faith, creation of beauty and celebration of truth.

    I also wrote more about it here, if you wanna see. (http://flameinthedarkness.com/how-to-write-a-personal-vision-statement-a-guest-post-by-ruthiey/) Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I love hearing your thoughts, so please, share them! :) However, when commenting, please remember to be polite and respect others. Thank you!