Sunday, October 13, 2013

Don't Worry


  Every Tuesday night, I attend a Bible study with several other young adults.  I feel very blessed to be a part of this group - I've learned so much from all the discussions and studies from the past eight months!

  A few weeks ago, there was a Tuesday evening which was especially encouraging to me.  In our small group, we read through Mark 8 several times over, digging deeper and deeper each time.  What stood out to me the most was found in verses 14 through 21.
The disciples had forgotten to bring bread, except for one loaf they had with them in the boat.  "Be careful," Jesus warned them.  "Watch out for the yeast of the Pharisees and that of Herod."  They discussed this with one another and said, "It is because we have no bread."  Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked them: "Why are you talking about having no bread?  Do you still not see or understand?  Are your hearts hardened?  Do you have eyes but fail to see, and ears but fail to hear?  And don't you remember?  When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?"  "Twelve," they replied.  "And when I broke the seven loaves for the four thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?"  They answered, "Seven."  He said to them, "Do you still not understand?"
  What stood out to me?  The disciples were worrying about the fact that they had no bread.  They were worrying about this after Jesus had already fed the crowd of 5,000 (plus women & children) with five loaves and two fish!  This was after Jesus had fed the crowd of 4,000 (plus women & children) with seven loaves!  This was after Jesus had performed so many other miracles that the disciples had all witnessed!  After seeing Jesus perform all those miracles, how could they even entertain a small doubt that He would not provide them with the food they needed?

  But then I thought...how can I look back at all the God's done in my life - all the ways He's provided for me, all the prayers He's answered - and yet worry that He won't do the same in my future?!  How can I entertain the doubt that He won't provide me with what I need (and want...inside His will)?  Reading this passage comes at a time when I'm sort of looking into my future and wondering what God's going to do.  Reading it really came at the perfect time.  God really does work in great ways!

 Love,
    Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I love hearing your thoughts, so please, share them! :) However, when commenting, please remember to be polite and respect others. Thank you!