Sunday, July 7, 2013

opportunity left a voice-mail

  late December 2012:  our church bulletin announced there would be two mission trips to Haiti coming up.  one in summer 2013; one in winter 2014.  at that time, I had to tell myself "no" because of what was currently happening in our family: my dear grandpa was dying of cancer and living with us.  there was no chance I'd be able to think about it with all that was going on.  so I told myself "no" and forgot about it.

  early June 2013:  I emailed our church secretary about the winter 2014 trip to Haiti.  there was no new information, but I asked to be placed on the email list when they knew something.  I wasn't committing to anything, but I did want to consider this opportunity.

  last Wednesday: my mom and I are in the kitchen.  talking about different opportunities that God's placed in my life.  opportunities which span the next year and a half.  which do I take?  which do I put on the side-lines for now?  which do I say "no" to?  I mentioned that timing-wise, the trip in August, which I had missed the opportunity of going on, would have worked better than February.  I'd still consider February, though.  I knew a three people on the August Haiti team - two of them I'd gone to Brazil with last year.

  Friday morning: I got an email from our Brazil team leader who also was leading the August Haiti team saying "I just left a message on your phone, please check your voicemail.  I have something I'd like you to pray about."  I didn't know what it was...but I went to check my phone.  as I was listening, tears started welling up as I realized that I was being handed an opportunity of a life-time.  Christine invited to join the team!  I couldn't believe it.  I finished the message, hung up and called my mom.  she knew about it since Christine called her, first for permission to ask me.  apparently, one of my fellow Brazil team members asked if I could join the team.  Christine approached the whole team to ask if I could join.  she called the ministry to see if they had room.  she called the travel agent to see if there were more seats on the plane.  she called my mom to see if she could invite me.  and then she called me and made my day!

  on August 13th, I will be flying to Haiti with six others from my church to work in orphanages, schools, a church, etc.  exactly what we'll be doing there is not yet determined, but I can't wait!  this is so exciting for me!  the ways God blesses me is sometimes more than I can handle and I honestly want to break down and cry.  my parents told me they would pay for the trip as a graduation gift - what's a better graduation gift than traveling and doing missions?!

  there are other missions opportunities that I have on my plate which I'll need to decide on over the next several months.  I'm hoping that my time in Haiti will maybe help me make decisions on some of those opportunities.

  God is good! don't forget it!

  Sierra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I love hearing your thoughts, so please, share them! :) However, when commenting, please remember to be polite and respect others. Thank you!