Wednesday, April 10, 2013

three doors -- only one left open



I gotta start with a little background first before I go into this really cool story about how God has been working in my life.

 In January, I started cleaning for a homeschool family twice a month.  Since it wasn't all that often, it worked well with my school and my schedule in general.  It left me worn out, but I enjoyed talking to the kids as I cleaned and hearing their stories about Tonka trucks, camping trips, and forts.  This family has four children, but the mom's parents lived with them, also, due to health reasons.

 At the beginning of March, I "accidentally" stumbled across an internship opportunity at the Target Corporate Center in Minneapolis.  It was an internship for the job as a Business Analyst.  Long story short, that job had always sounded very interesting to me and for a really long time, I'd wanted to work at the Target Corporate Center (and truly, I have no idea why...).  So after long nights putting together a resume that actually mattered, a high school transcript, and filling out the application form, I applied for this internship.  I knew that whether or not I got the internship, that whole applying experience was good for me.

 When the middle of March rolled around, my dad took me out for breakfast and told me of yet another opportunity.  First, let me say that he is the co-owner of a small business that builds elevators - nothing electrical, just "the box".  His company builds custom elevators and you can see their work in Chicago, Santa Monica, even Dubai in Abu Dhabi!  Anyway, his two sales men have been asking for a "third person" to deal with emails and some phone calls and handle other odd jobs to help them so they can focus on the bigger things that may (and do) come up.  My dad's co-owner has a son who is my age, and they were thinking that together, this summer, we could fill this position for these sales guys.  My dad told me at breakfast that morning that they were only just considering opening the position but wanted to know if I'd be interested.  I said yes, I'd be interested.

 So when I got home from breakfast that morning, my mind was reeling with questions like, "If I got the internship, what would happen with the cleaning job?" and "If I got the internship and my dad's position, I'd still have the cleaning job - how do I go about that?".  I was worrying about having to make the decision of which job I would have to keep, because I could only take one.

 Well, the week following breakfast with my dad, I got a phone call from the mom of the family I clean for.  A position opened up and she was able to put her parents in a nursing home.  Due to the fact that this opened up a lot of time for her family to be able to keep up the cleaning duties, she didn't need me any longer to clean.  Although I was kind of counting on that extra income, I knew that it was probably for the best, and I wasn't upset or even disappointed.  I had a peace about it.

 Last week, when I was in Virginia, I got an email at 1am as a group of us were sitting around the table playing games and talking.  I could see it was from the Target Corporation and it said that my status had been updated on my account - I had to log in to see it.  So I tried.  Due to several reasons, such as the fact that I was on my phone, plus, it was one o'clock in the morning, I was unable to remember my account information, so I had to wait.  The next morning, I still had no luck, so I texted my sister back home and had her get on my laptop and find my account information.  Finally, I was able to log in!!  What I saw made me almost sigh in relief.  I had not gotten the internship.  My heart barely sank, I was totally fine with it.  Yes, it would have been completely amazing had I gotten the internship, but the months leading up to this summer would have been stressful, I would have been nervous, and I would have been commuting almost an hour and a half each way every day.

 I called my mom and told her.  She said she agreed - it was probably a good thing I didn't get it.  I called my dad.  He didn't answer.  When I got a hold of him 30 minutes later, he said he had been in a meeting.  He had been meeting about that "third person" position (I'm going to have to find a title for that position).  They decided that I could start at the end of April!!!

 Now, if you didn't catch the exciting thing in all that, I will say this:

I had three very open doors.  And one by one, God shut the doors until there was one left open.  And it happened to be the door that I would have felt most comfortable walking into; the one that is more likely to lead to bigger possibilities; the one that I get to work for/with my dad! 

 Only God could do that.

I thank Him I only had to wait in the hallway for a little while...
 I just had to share that with you.  I don't believe in coincidences.  I believe in a God who orchestrates everything according to His purpose.  You probably hear a lot of people say, "we just can't see the bigger picture yet".  Sometimes, in life, people have to wait a long time to see just a glimpse of the bigger picture.  This time, for me, I didn't have to wait very long.  Only three weeks.  But what would have normally been disappointments, got me more and more excited that God had something better in mind.  I didn't have to make that decision.  It was made for me and set before me.  I couldn't ask for anything more.  


 In my Bible study group last night, we read from Ephesians 3.  This is what verses 20 & 21 say, which I believe fit very well with all that I just said:

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!  Amen."

To Him be the glory forever and ever!  AMEN!!!

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."     ~Romans 8:28


God bless,
  Sierra

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! That was an amazing story, Sierra. :) I hope your new job is a wonderful experience for you. Praise the Lord! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, Sierra! Thanks for taking the time to write and encourage the rest of us! Congratulations on your new job!

    As we wait for our additional four kids, I love the mini "poster" reminding us to praise Him for the hallway. Where did you get the graphic? Is it publicly available? If so, could you send me a link at barrennomore@gmail.com?
    Mrs. Reynolds

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I love hearing your thoughts, so please, share them! :) However, when commenting, please remember to be polite and respect others. Thank you!